Help 70-270

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help 70-270

I am taking the 70-270 exam in May and I want to make sure I have covered the material that will be on the test. I used Train Siginal fast tract and the Microsoft Training kit. If anybody that has taken the exam can give me some tips I would appreciate it very much.

Kawadmin

Re: Help 70-270

What, in spite of the very strict Non-Disclosure Agreement they signed at the beginning of the test?

Top tips for Microsoft Exams are: Know the material in your books inside out; and be able to pass any self-test software you can find without errors. Measure-Up, TrainSignal, Microsoft, Transcenders... if you can mostly pass those you'll pass the exam.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

I am guessing that 270 will be your first exam, so I am adding a but of extra advice on exam taking.

The Transcenders for 270 are good, and Measure up is always worth the money.

Buy the up to date versions, don't accept old or copied software, you need to be able to trust what you're using, and you need to stay legal.

If you can affort CBT Nuggets, Learnkey or Train Signal, then get them immediately.

Here's a few tips -

Take the computer practice tests in batches of 20 questions, set it so you get a random selection.

Run the test in practice mode where you can view answers immediately, and try your best to answer the question. For any questions you get wrong, read the answer, make a note, then hit the books, watch the training video, practice the concept on a PC and repeat the process.

When you are getting 99% of the questions right, try the test in full exam mode. You only need to do this two or three times, by now you will know the answers, but you need a dry run of time pressure and not knowing if you are right or wrong till the end.

The night before the exam, take it easy, eat well and sleep well, but don't overdo the studying. Read casually, use the test in flash card mode, you may pick up a few extra concepts.

Take the exam in the morning, try to get 10 mins on your own just to relax, don't keep cramming info in up to the last minute, you need to gear your brain up to give out, not take in...

Don't rush the exam, different people have different methods, I would advise that you read the answers before you read the question, but whatever method you choose, have it sorted in your practice tests before the real thing.

Finally, keep calm, even if you start to feel you're doing badly. Often it seems worse than it really is, stay focused.

If you fail, it's because you didn't know enough. Use this as a positive, it will make you stronger. If you fail by a couple of points, consider retaking as soon as possible.

I have a higher regard for people who have failed an exam once or twice, it tells me more about them as a person, so don't be afraid.

However, prepare to pass !

Best of luck
      Last edited by neilmac; 7th May 2007, 20:23.
      Neil Mac

Comment

Thanks for your advice and yes this is my first attemp at the 70-270. I have A+, NET+, CWNA , CCNA and am now working on MCSE. I have been taking the practice exams that came with the Microsoft training kit and the questions are unreal with the complexity. Is the test as hard as the practice questions on the Microsoft practice CD? If so I don't stand a chance.

Comment

Well, it seems you have exam experience, so you probably don't need so much exam prep tips.

For practical advice, I would say have a go at the Measure Up test, it will give you a good indication to where you are really at. I particularly like the CBT Nuggest for this exam, they are worth the money and will get you well underway.

It's not a difficult exam, but it's important to get it right if you are going on to take others on the MCSA/MCSE track.

It's easy to overstudy and confuse the issue, and have too much study material.

Microsoft training is VERY comprehensive, and can be quite intimidating/overwhelming.

Use my original advice with one good study guide, one set of videos, one practice test, and work with that. If you have any concepts that give you trouble, post here for help, many of us have been where you are now and will be able to help.
          Neil Mac

Comment

Thanks Neil Mac,
            Even though I have taken exams before I always over-react when it gets close to the day of the test. I appreciate the advice very much. I guess it is the fear of the unknown. I'll let you know how it turns out after Monday.
            Kawadmin

Comment

Hi Guys,

I took the 70-270 exam a year ago and failed by only a few points, I then went on vacation and didn't take it again until now. I've worked with XP Prof for a few years now. I studied up again and decided to take the exam again since I "thought" I had an idea of what would be asked on the exam from taking it last year. Well guess what.....the "whole" exam is different and I was going over my notes and demos from last year.....I came across questions of things that I had done with XP in 2002 and couldn't remember if I was getting it correct or not, can't remember back that far...is there an updated exam for the 70-270 now as apposed to a year ago...I'm not going to throw any more money at Microsoft until I have to correct questions to study for this new exam base....

Which course would be the one I'd want to spend my money and time with....you suggested a few, is one better for this particular exam....

Comment

Microsoft are continually revising and changing their exams as a security measure, and it's pretty unlikely you'll get an even remotely similar exam each time you attend. The only way to pass is to know your material and practice, practice practice - both on the product AND on the self-test exams. Get yourself the Virtual PC downloaded and use that to host a server and a couple of workstations to play with as a lab - it will be invaluable as a study aid.

Tom
                For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

I only just passed this exam when i sat it a couple of months ago now, i used the Microsoft Press study guide and used the the practice examinations that came with it , i waited until i was consistenly getting 85-90 percent in certification mode. When i sat the exam i found it quite different, particulary the format of the exam, but even though different the concepts are still the same altho i walked away with just passing i think it was 760 with 700 the passing score. Currently im studying exam 70-290, good luck people

i fully agree with Neilmac's advice, and i'll add the more practice exams you do the better and take notes on the questions you get wrong
                  Last edited by J0K3R; 17th May 2007, 06:34.
                  Life's a breeze, so spread your wings and fly baby

Comment

All

I just want to thank everybody for the advice on the 70-270 exam. I passed today with a score of 789. Not a record-breaker but I,m glad to pass. I am giting ready for the 70-290 now but won't take the test until mid summer. Everybody take care and I look forward to chatting later.

Thanks Again,

Kawadmin

Comment

Congratulations Another MCP joins the tribe

Never mind the numbers -- as long as the first digit is >=7 you have no worries!
                      Tom Jones
                      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Before you know it Tom he'll have more letters after his name than you do

Michael
                        Michael Armstrong
                        www.m80arm.co.uk
                        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Kawadmin, congtatulations on your pass. Well done.

If I add the following, I shall have you all beat with letters after my name. supercallifragilisticexpialidocious. Thank you Mary Poppins.
                          1 1 was a racehorse.
                          2 2 was 1 2.
                          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                          X