Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 70-284 Advice and pointers

Hi,

Passed my 70-270 yesterday, quite pleased as i got a high score...now looking to complete my MCSA with 70-284.

I realise that this is probably quite a challenge as my experience is limited with exchange 2003 and i work in a single exchange (2003) environment. But i think the knwoledge i will gain will be invaluable.

Could any one offer any advice on reading material (on or offline) and any pointers that maybe useful ? I have downloaded virtual pc which i will use to create the various virtual machines, and the msbook has eval exchange 2003.

I am aware that the Mpress books which i have used all the way so far are not very good for this exam. I appreciate all advice is subjective but if i can get an idea where people started it would assist.

Thanks in advance

Benjapos
    MCP
    70-270,70-290,70-291
    Benjapos

MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291 ITIL Practitioner, Prince2 Practitioner - working on 70-284

Re: 70-284 Advice and pointers

I found that exam pretty easy - I belive there were only 34 questions (inc 3 simulation exams) I used the following:

1 x Official MS Book
    2 x Virtual servers with Windows 2003 and Exchange 2003 (same domain and different domains)
    1 x Windows XP Virtual Machine with Outlook 2003

Ensure you read the following as I spent two hours trying to fix a problem that MS caused:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/837527/en-us

Good Luck

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Please check out this thread: http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=15049 and the thread referenced in it.

make sure you are up on network routing / general networking

I used:
      MS Press Book
      Exam Cram 2
      Transcenders

Lots of real experience with single server setups, but had to wing it for the multiserver stuff

Good luck!
      Tom
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Dont forget to review ISA relation with Exchange 2003. And also OWA plus Exchange inter interoperability with Unix based mail server in the same forest !!!
        All in 1
        Solaris,Linux & Windows admin + networking.

Comment

Thanks Guys,

Very useful....Having never used vitrual pc before could I load several servers onto one pc will the virtual machines think they are networked or do i still need to have two physical devices networked to simulate a network environment ?
          Benjapos

MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291 ITIL Practitioner, Prince2 Practitioner - working on 70-284

Comment

Originally posted by Benjapos View Post
            Thanks Guys,

Very useful....Having never used vitrual pc before could I load several servers onto one pc will the virtual machines think they are networked or do i still need to have two physical devices networked to simulate a network environment ?

You can network virtually
            Thats how Microsoft do it for the official training.
            You can even have virtual PCs talking to the outside world
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Benjapos View Post
              Thanks Guys,

You can also try Microsoft's ready lab's which are designed for Exchange 2007.
              But useful for Exchange 2003 as well.

Virtual PC could be a good choice but you'll have to get atleast 1 GB ram and some good disk space. otherwise it runs too slow. Recomanded ram is 1 GB , but 1 GB + 512 MB is good .
              All in 1
              Solaris,Linux & Windows admin + networking.

Comment

Working...
              X