No announcement yet.

plan for the mcse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• plan for the mcse

Hi, need some advice...

I passed the A+ earlier this year, and will take the Network+ next month. The next goal would be the MCSE, but I'm not sure how to go about getting it. I've worked in tech support for 2 years, so I have a lot of experience with Win2k and XP Pro, but have virtually no experience working with any version of Server. So I offer up the following questions, any answers are greatly appreciated.

Would getting a copy of Server 2003 to play with at home be beneficial? Or would that not present enough real world scenarios?

What is the general feeling on these so called boot camps? Two weeks to get my cert.? Are they looked down upon by potential employers? Or might they be the thing I am looking for to get a little experience with the software?

Thanks for your help

There is nothing like a good, hands-on, personal experience with the product you're stdying. Get yourself a nice second hand server (a PC will also do if you must), install Win2003, wreck it, ruin it, re-install it, perform all the MOC labs on it, live it, breath it, use it as your workstation.

As for boot camps - I'm sure some of them are nice, however none will be looked upon nicely from the employer's point of view. They will get you the cert, but I wouldn't mention them in my job interview...

That's just my opinion, I'm sure there are others who will be glad to add their own.

Good luck.

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services