Studying for the 70-290 and would like some tips please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studying for the 70-290 and would like some tips please

So im currently studying for the 70-290 exam. I have sat all the courses to be able to sit 290 and 291....but im going to concentrate on one at a time!!

I have bought the exam questions and answers pack from pass-guaranteed.com and im working my way through it. Has anyone else used this or similar and how do you rate them.

Do you have any other tips or guides to how to pass this exam. I would be very grateful for some info.

Thanks

Pool

Re: Studying for the 70-290 and would like some tips please

Firstly, avoid any "brain dump" sites which promise to sell you the actual questions and answers. They are illegal, unreliable and dont give real-world experience.

The general advice, in many posts here, is that passing requires a combination of:

1) Real World Experience of the technology, ideally in an operational environment but at least in your own development lab (perhaps using virtual PC)

2) Study of the exam objectives and coverage, using books and/or on-line resources. TrainSignal is a very good supplier of video training.

3) Practice questions e.g. Transcender, to give you experience of exam conditions.

All three are needed, but number 1 is by far the most important.

What exams do you have already?

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for the tips.

This is my first MS exam that I will be taking so you can imagine how I feel. Im tempted to sit the the exam first as a trial so I know how the quesitions are going to be set out and get the general "feel" for the exam. What do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by Pool View Post
        Thanks for the tips.

This is my first MS exam that I will be taking so you can imagine how I feel. Im tempted to sit the the exam first as a trial so I know how the quesitions are going to be set out and get the general "feel" for the exam. What do you think?
        To be honest, that depends on your budget and how you feel about retakes. As a first exam, I would strongly recommend 70-270 (Windows XP) -- there is quite a lot of overlap with 290 but somewhat easier, IMHO.

How much "real world" experience do you have with Server 2003?

Good Luck!
        Tom
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X