exam prep sites ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exam prep sites ?

iam going to study for mcse , ccna and ocp in my next couple of month and i was looking for sites with package deals .... i came across hotcerts.com . anyone knows how good is their $85 all exams package and is it worth it ???? . looking for ur responses

Re: exam prep sites ?

if you want to be a paper mcse, ccna or what ever, i sure you will fail when you start doing you're job. You know nothing if you get you're exam by studying such things.

If you want a serious answer:
    buy books from MSpress or Cybex for example, and setup a virtual test network using vmware or something and test, play, brake it, fix it etcetc. Start studying..!

I just started an internal CCNA course, and it will take about 5 months! Study from the books, 1-4 days course, taking a internal practice exam, start studying again...
    9th of april i will do my exam.
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Marcel is correct!!

Too many paper MCSE's out there bring down the true value of your qualifications.

I used the official MS press books and Virtual Server R2 (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...e/default.mspx)

some of the trainsignal and CBTnuggets training video's are really good as well

Hope this helps and good luck - Let us know how you get on

Michael
      Michael Armstrong
      www.m80arm.co.uk
      MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

TO reiterate, please dont go down the "paper MCSE" route. Not only are "brain-dumps" illegal, they also dont help you with real skills and you have no way of checking how good the questions are. Basically, anyone can take anything and post it as a brain-dump.

IMHO, a combination of:
        Books
        Self Tests
        Practical Experience

will get you through. Practical experience is by far the most important.

Tom
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          Practical experience is by far the most important.
          Agree 100%. But remember there is a way of doing something then the Microsoft way - i think you can guess which way gets correct answers in the exams?!
          Server 2000 MCP
          Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

I think it is a combintion of both. I am currently holding MCSA/MCSE + security, CCNA, A+. I used to set up the labs and used to get brain dumbs. You need to have both to get a high grade.

Best regards,
            Mostafa
            Best regards,
            Mostafa Itani

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by sanvour View Post
              I think it is a combintion of both. I am currently holding MCSA/MCSE + security, CCNA, A+. I used to set up the labs and used to get brain dumbs. You need to have both to get a high grade.

Best regards,
              Mostafa
              What good is a high grade if you can't perform on the job?
              Besides, these things are pass/fail. Do you get more money if you ace the tests (maybe you do...) or if you get the certificate?

Also, brain dumps are illegal and they cheapen the certificates for everyone!!
              Regards,
              Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
              Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
              www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                What good is a high grade if you can't perform on the job?
                Besides, these things are pass/fail. Do you get more money if you ace the tests (maybe you do...) or if you get the certificate?

Also, brain dumps are illegal and they cheapen the certificates for everyone!!
                Dear JermeyW,

Sure a good grade is nothing if you can not perfom the job. What I am telling you, you need to set up the lab and test, then you need to prepare for exams. IN my courses the security one for MCSA/MCSE there is a grade for the exam and even they grade you on certain topics.

In my CCNA certification the passing grade is 850, but in order to be able to teach CCNA courses you need to havea grade higher than 921. .

So grade sometimes counts.

Another time I am with the practical experience rather the getting the dumps and passing the exam.

Best regards,
                Mostafa
                Best regards,
                Mostafa Itani

Comment

I keep it quite simple..
                  Anyone who uses braindumps (or look alikes) can't be taken to serious in their job. I've seen so much "paper"MCSE qualified engineers. And they doesn't know how to create a user. I've seen that so much, I never ever will recommend testkings, braindumps etcetc..

I'm sorry if I heard you're feelings, however like i said before, I won't use this kind of study practices.

Just do the following:

Read the books, learn them, remember them..
                  Play on vmware/virtual pc. Break it, Fix it, test it...
                  Learn it in real life senarios. Try it, learn from colleques.
                  Marcel
                  Technical Consultant
                  Netherlands
                  http://www.phetios.com
                  http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                  "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                  "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
                    I keep it quite simple..
                    Anyone who uses braindumps (or look alikes) can't be taken to serious in their job. I've seen so much "paper"MCSE qualified engineers. And they doesn't know how to create a user. I've seen that so much, I never ever will recommend testkings, braindumps etcetc..

I'm sorry if I heard you're feelings, however like i said before, I won't use this kind of study practices.

Just do the following:

Read the books, learn them, remember them..
                    Play on vmware/virtual pc. Break it, Fix it, test it...
                    Learn it in real life senarios. Try it, learn from colleques.
                    100% agree. No - 150%.

Brain Dumps are evil. Marks are nothing. Here's why.

Microsoft Certifications (and incidentally those offered by Cisco) are there to certify existing knowledge. They are NOT a school-type "learn, test, learn, exam, grade" scenario at all. They are there to PROVE that someone has the knowledge to do a job. If they don't have the knowledge to do the job, then they should not be able to pass these exams. I scraped through my 2003 MCSE - but do I care? No - I passed; and I'm happy to admit that every single day I learn just how much I do not know. MCSE is NOTHING when you have a job already - it's there on your CV to get you the interview.

Now sometimes, businesses are Microsoft Gold Partners because they have (x) people certified as MCSE/MCSA/MCDST. THEN it's important in your current job - but not to you... to your employer.

They might even offer you a bonus for getting it.

Tom
                    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

I think there is a clear consensus on this. About time to move on?

Tom
                      Tom Jones
                      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

Comment

Working...
                      X