Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCNP Certification without real world experiance

Hai,
    I am working in a call centre .but i want to get into networking field..so i completed CCNA on may..But i did nt get any job..so i have planned to CCNP...but i dont have any real world experience ..so is it possible for me to complete ccnp papers without experience..if so how long will it take for me to complete all the papers..

OR some one pls tell me what i can do further..i am just looking blind here

Re: CCNP Certification without real world experiance

Go on a training course or buy books or study videos
    Get official practice questions
    You may well pass the exam but the real experience will still be missing, so don't expect to jump into high level jobs

How long.... well, that depends on you!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by sabu View Post
      Hai,
      I am working in a call centre .but i want to get into networking field..so i completed CCNA on may..But i did nt get any job..so i have planned to CCNP...but i dont have any real world experience ..so is it possible for me to complete ccnp papers without experience..if so how long will it take for me to complete all the papers..

OR some one pls tell me what i can do further..i am just looking blind here
      That is possible. But the dots wont start to add up until you have "real" commercial experience in a production enviroment. You could start by building your own rigs at least that would give you some more practical experience. Remember certifications are just an enabler or a foot in the door that is all. Experience cant be taught. That comes in time.

Comment

There is no substitute for, as stated, real world experience. If you are dedicated, and willing to set forth the effort to achieve Cisco Certification, this is great. My certification road began after about 5 years of "minimal" systems administration and networking experience in a medium sized enterprise environment. Notice I used the term minimal. The Cisco exams test your knowledge on a broad scale, thus requiring skills that are better mastered through exposure (hands on) experience. Notice I said "hands on". You have however, one huge benefit if you proceed! Thanks to Cisco, the current exam certification path for the CCNA is better suited for people with less than a professional level of experience. The split CCNA (ICND1 and ICND2) are separate certifications, which lead to the CCNA certification. This will give you a slight advantage on landing an entry level position while studying for your additional certifications. Don't be surprised if you're back at the phone!! Only this time you will be in an environment that will expose you to some real world experience!

With this said, here is some advice, others please feel free to add or criticize.

* Have a realistic mind set. It will take hard work and some time! It took me about 6 weeks of hard preperation for the CCNA exam.

* Visit the Cisco Prep Center. Too many resources to list.

* Build a Lab! This is where I'll probably get plowed. I built a lab adiquate for the CCNA training for $450.00. I bought the following: 2 Cisco 2621 routers (IOS Ver 12.2 with 2 fastethernets), 2 Cisco 2924 switches, a LinkSys Wirless G-Series cable router and cabling. I hit a couple of computer swap & shops for some lower end PC's (3 Pen III's) for $75.00 that had 10/100 NIC's. This is a workable LAN.

* As far as study material; Cisco Press has a CCNA Preperation Set, volume 2 ($30 - $40) which is pretty good and covers both ICND1, 2 (CCNA) exam material. This is a good start, however you may decide on additional study material as you progress, such as video training (CBT Nuggets is very good, I think). Remember, there is a wealth of free resources on the Internet, expecially on subnetting.

Dedication and hard work will be rewarding.

Good luck!

Comment

My quick 2 cents:

Networking at the CCNP level means typically managing larger networks (hundreds/thousands of nodes, dozens of sites, many routers). Typically, these are going to be companies of minimum 500 people, or service providers like ISPs.

These types of positions are going to inherently require experience. Having a CCNP definitely won't hurt anything, but you're more likely to land a CCNA level position without any experience. The issue here is more to do with experience, not certifications. It's like accounting, you can study really hard and get a designation like CA or CMA, but that doesn't mean that companies are going to hire you as a CFO as soon as you've completed the coursework.

With a CCNP and only help desk experience, you would probably expect to land a junior-intermediate technical analyst position somewhere.

Comment

Working...
          X