CCNA Security = CCNA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCNA Security = CCNA

I am needing to renew my CCNA by the end of this year for my job. They require me to have a current and valid CCNA. This will be the third time that I have renewed my CCNA.

In an effort to quit being redundant with my work and move forward, I was taking a hard look at the CCNA Security path. Unfortunately the HR department at my job does not recognize CCNA Security on the qualifications for my job title, I'm sure we all understand that HR departments are not cutting edge when it comes to IT certifications....at least not where I work.

I had asked this question when the cert first came out and got a lot of varying answers. Here's my question again:

Will passing CCNA Security automatically renew my plain CCNA?

I've looked all over Cisco's site and cannot find anywhere that says passing a CCNA concentration exam renews CCNA; however on Cisco message boards I've had multiple people tell me that a concentration does indeed renew CCNA.

Help, I'm confused.

Thanks Cisco!
    MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Re: CCNA Security = CCNA

According to this page:

Recertification Options:
    CCENT, CCNA, CCDA -- Pass a CCNA Concentration exam (wireless, security, voice)

Looks like you're good to go! Oh, and try to get your CIO to lean on HR to get up to date with their certification requirements.

EDIT: You can also check out this article which is basically a repackaging of the previously mentioned Cisco page.
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

CCNA Security it is then.

Thanks for the help.
      MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Comment

Let us know when you pass and how you did it.
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        -------------------------------
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Has anybody passed the CCNA Security exam yet? I have got it booked for 17th September so fingers crossed.

I was thinking about carrying on the security route and getting CCSP before taking a certification break for a few years. I am now looking into getting CCNP as I am currently a contractor and would like to get a permy job within an ISP so I am guessing that CCNP would be more advantageous. What do you guys reckon?
          Last edited by BigDeesDad; 11th September 2009, 12:42.
          Infrastructure Architect
          CCNA, CCNA Security, MCSE, JNCIS

Comment

Not jet. I start studying for it after my holiday since I need ot re-cert my CCNA before april next year.
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Just passed the CCNA Security exam with a mark of 977

There were lots of interactive questions on IPSec VPN and Zone Based Firewalls where you have to troll through the SDM.. Only one CLI input question and the rest mainly on security principles.

I used the CBT nuggets and Cisco Press certification guide and found that all the relevant information was covered. Highly recommend both.
              Infrastructure Architect

Comment

Ah I already thought that both topics would be asked quite a lot.
                Are you going to continue voor CCSP?
                Marcel
                Technical Consultant
                Netherlands
                http://www.phetios.com
                http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

I don't know what track I will do yet Dumber.

I was planning on doing CCSP or CCNP but now I am looking at the Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH) because this seems quite interesting too. I have been looking into Penetration Testing and this cert is really the first step.
                  Infrastructure Architect

Comment

Working...
                  X