Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An important tip for CCNA 640-802...

Greetings,

I've managed to pass the CCNA exam, and the best tip i can give to anyone is to take advantage of the 15 minutes tutorial to write the SUBNETTING MASKS in the white paper the test centers gives you.

Believe me. It will spare you a LOT of time.

Write down something like this:

MASK CIDR IPS HOSTS SUBNET
    255.255.255.255 32 1 0 *
    255.255.255.254 31 2 0 256/2
    255.255.255.252 30 4 2 256/4
    255.255.255.248 29 8 6 256/8

.......... And so on, until the tutorial time is out

I know subnetting is different for Class A/B/C, but if you have this table for Class C subnetting from /30 to /12 it is VERY USEFUL

GOOD LUCK

Cheers,
    Phk

Re: An important tip for CCNA 640-802...

Cisco should just supply calculators in the exam. Theres no added skill by having to do long division to work out CIDR address's.

Comment

Originally posted by scurlaruntings View Post
      Cisco should just supply calculators in the exam. Theres no added skill by having to do long division to work out CIDR address's.
      Yes, it's ridiculous.. a simple 1$ calculator next to the mouse would be a great, great advantage.. This cheat-sheet was an enormous help. Otherwise i'd loose lots of time in every question since almost every IP address is subnetted..

Cheers

Phk

Comment

Even Microsoft offers a calculator built into their exam interface.
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        -------------------------------
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by Phk View Post
          Yes, it's ridiculous.. a simple 1$ calculator next to the mouse would be a great, great advantage.. This cheat-sheet was an enormous help. Otherwise i'd loose lots of time in every question since almost every IP address is subnetted..

Cheers

Phk
          I updated my CCNA about 7-8 months ago. Cisco in my opinion do students no favors at all. First of all your battling the clock in an exam that is 90 minutes which is simply too short. Then they dont supply calculators onscreen so you have to waste time on questions doing long division. Bear in mind the pass score is 82.5%. Although i scored 90% im fairly long in the tooth with Cisco products. That being said im not a fan of Cisco nor proprietary networking. There are so many better alternatives out there that offer a far better ROI than Cisco kit. Anyway you would have thought Cisco would have addressed these basic flaws in there exams ages ago instead of dumbing down the CCNA with the CCENT.

Comment

The point is that you're able to subnet in your head. It's pretty damn important for a CCNA.

The impression I got when I took the Cisco exam is that it's a real test of skills whereas Microsoft certs are just a profit center for the company.

Comment

Originally posted by Garen View Post
              The point is that you're able to subnet in your head. It's pretty damn important for a CCNA.

The impression I got when I took the Cisco exam is that it's a real test of skills whereas Microsoft certs are just a profit center for the company.
              Theres nothing skillful about working out subnets in your head. At the end of the day its a maths calculation. If you know CIDR and subnetting then with or without a calculator you will be able to work it out. When your battling against the clock to finish and exam and spending execcesive amounts of time doing long division thats simply not practical nor important for an real life scenario. And dont be fooled Cisco exams track is just as driven by profit as is MS. If that wasnt the case they wouldnt have introduced the CCENT. That being said Cisco are more stringnent with there exam material but there exams naturally are less prevalent than Microsoft.

Comment

Working...
              X