Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which practicle skills do I need to concentrate to join as NW admin fresher?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which practicle skills do I need to concentrate to join as NW admin fresher?

I am learning CCNA course now. I would like to get a job as NW adminstrator fresher.

Which practicle skills ( configurations of most used switches/ routers, NW troubleshooting utilities....etc ) do I need to concentrate on?

Re: Which practicle skills do I need to concentrate to join as NW admin fresher?

I lost my job ( technical support for HP Notbooks ) due to recession.

I am learning CCNA course now.

I would like to join as network administrator ( trainee/entry level ).I will apply for the job after 15 days.

I have the basic knowledge of TCP/IP, IP subnetting, OSPF, EIGRP, NAT, Access lists...etc. ( I have learned one year back )

I would like to know the most important configurations, network monitoring/troubleshooting tools I need to be familiar with to get the job.

Thank you for your time.
    Last edited by bspkumar; 3rd June 2009, 12:20.

Comment

Re: Which practicle skills do I need to concentrate to join as NW admin fresher?

Be very familiar with Wireshark or Microsoft's Network Monitor.
      Know about SNMP.
      Know about nmap.
      Read "The Practice of System and Network Administration, (2nd Edition)". Twice.
      Get familiar with a good network monitoring/management tool like Nagios or OpenNMS.
      Spend time reading blogs from known security professionals (not just in the networking world) like Anton Chuvakin, Bruce Schneier, Marcus J Ranum, and others.

Also, read through these two lists of interview questions by Daniel Petri and learn to answer them:
      Daniel Petri's MCSE and System Administrator Job Interview Questions - Part 1 - Networking
      Daniel Petriís MCSE and System Administrator Job Interview Questions - Part 4 - PC Technician
      Wesley David
      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
      -------------------------------
      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
      Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
      Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Never realised Nagios and Nmap were becoming sooo popular...

Just out of interest why do you think he should learn a tool like Nmap as a network admin?

Comment

My thoughts on nmap are that a network admin must needs be aware of his nodes' security status and what's on his network in general. You can create a python/ruby/insert-fave-scripting-language-here script to scan your network with nmap periodically using various conditions to see what nodes are where and what they're listening for. nmap can spew out XML which can then be consumed by something like nagios (since Nagios doesn't have a network discovery feature ) and formatted all purdy. That's just one of many uses, anyway.
          Wesley David
          LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
          Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
          Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

Nmap is an extremely powerful tool that is used often for stealth detection auditing and some monitoring. Its also part of the backtrack suite of tools for ethical hacking. GFI also do a similar tool.. LANguard.. But i dont really (in my opinion of course) classify them as neccesary tools for a network "fresher". Wireshark though most definitly for deep level packet analysis.

I think tools like Nessus would be better for a network admin looking for security vulnerabilities on his LAN than a "hacking" tool like Nmap.

Comment

I am little confused with the networking monitoring tools that you have mentioned.

I am little busy with journeys now. I will analyse them after one week and get back to you.

Thank you for your information.

Comment

Originally posted by scurlaruntings View Post
                Nmap is an extremely powerful tool that is used often for stealth detection auditing and some monitoring. Its also part of the backtrack suite of tools for ethical hacking. GFI also do a similar tool.. LANguard.. But i dont really (in my opinion of course) classify them as neccesary tools for a network "fresher". Wireshark though most definitly for deep level packet analysis.

I think tools like Nessus would be better for a network admin looking for security vulnerabilities on his LAN than a "hacking" tool like Nmap.
                You're right, nmap might not be standard fare for a "fresher". Really, the value in nmap that I see for a "noob" is to just play with it and understand the responses that you get. You can learn a mountain of practical information about how the TCP/IP stack works that way and you'll then have a great intuition for what might be causing network problems. But I know plenty of Sr. Network Admins that have never used nmap (although I'm not sure if that proves a good point or a bad point... ).

bspkumar, just ask for clarification about anything I mentioned and I'll try to point you in the right direction.
                Wesley David
                LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

I use Nmap almost every day. I could never do without it. I use it though primarily for passive intelligence gathering.

Comment

Hi Nonapeptide, I went to my home town where Internet is not available.

Let me explain you in detail what I am looking for.

Some of my friends have attended for the interviews for NW admin trainee/fresher.
                    They have answered almost all questions. However, they did not get the job.
                    What most of the interviewers saying is "you do not have practicle knowledge". My freinds even answered some questions about configuratins of routers and switches, troubleshooting...etc But, they did not get the job.

That is the reason I am asking about the practile skills to improve.

The situation is different two years back in India. Interviewers used to ask basic networking questions for trainee/fresher like : diff topologies,why OSI modal, diffence among diff networking devices.....etc. I think this is due to recession.

I need to wait form 2 more weeks to face the interviews. So that I will know the practicle skills they are looking for.

Anyway thank you for your consideration.

Comment

I don't think you can get "practical skills" without having a job or at the very least a test network to practice on -- it is not a question of knowing how to do things, it is being able to show you have done them in some sort of real environment.

You would be best to bring up practical activities you did in your course, the simulations that (IIRC) are part of the CCNA exam and any work experience you have, even if not directly related to the job you are applying for.
                      Tom Jones
                      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

You are correct Ossian. How can I get practicle skills without a job? I think the interviewers are using this trick to filter the fresh graduats,unwanted....etc.

I will start practicing using simulators like Packet Tracer....etc.

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by bspkumar View Post
                          How can I get practicle skills without a job?
                          As an IT manager, I would prefer someone with experience and, all other things being equal, the experienced person would get the job.

But there are lots of ways you can get experience:
                          Voluntary work (schools, charities)
                          Set up a home lab
                          Look for lower paid work conditional on getting a chance to gain particular experience
                          Tom Jones
                          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yes, I will do the same if I were in the place of an interviewer.

Yes, I am looking for a less paid job now. So that I can get the practicle experience. The prarcticle experience is must in most of the jobs, especially in networking feild.

Thank you.

Comment

That is the reason I am asking about the practile skills to improve.
                              Sounds reasonable. Go through those interview questions of Daniel Petri's and research the answers. If you can, set up a practice lab to play with using virtual machines and spare networking equipment. Yes, it will take a lot of time and effort but it can pay off.

You are correct Ossian. How can I get practicle skills without a job?
                              Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                              But there are lots of ways you can get experience:
                              Voluntary work (schools, charities)
                              bspkumar, when I read your question the answer I thought of was first on Ossian's reply. I've done a lot of volunteer work for charities and gained a huge amount of experience as a result. I'm not sure how things work in your country, but try to volunteer at some place that needs help. The only problem is that often a non-profit organization will need a ton of help and you might get in over your head (I speak from experience). Yes, it's good to be challenged with tasks beyond your current comfort level, but going to far beyond that level can be bad. Stick with it and you'll get all the experience that you need.
                              Wesley David
                              LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

Working...
                              X