Buying routers and switches for exam preparation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying routers and switches for exam preparation

In 2009 I have to re-certify my CCNA and CCDA certifications, and I have been toying with the idea of going further to get the CCNP.

But before I undertake this responsibility, I would like to set up my own Cisco home network to get hands-on practice with setting up routes and VLANs and the like.

Could anyone recommend some cheap Cisco router and switch models that I could buy, preferably used from eBay or something? Thanks very much.
    Was that so hard?
    |

Re: Buying routers and switches for exam preparation

Have you seen this for simulators (although not strictly on topic)

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.p...isco+simulator
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
      Have you seen this for simulators (although not strictly on topic)

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.p...isco+simulator
      Although recent sims have come a long long way to replicate the real IOS, it's ALWAYS better IMO to go with the real deal and buy the equipment. Besides once your finished, you'll have testing equipment or can re-sell it to probably make back most if not all of your money.

MePH
      "All technology should be assumed guilty until proven innocent." ~David Ross Brower

CCNA, MCSE, MCSA, Security+, A+

Comment

Yep but if you can't afford them or just want additonal practice there is no harm. For the CCNA etc you only need quite basic stuff. Each to their own.
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
          Yep but if you can't afford them or just want additonal practice there is no harm. For the CCNA etc you only need quite basic stuff. Each to their own.
          Fair enough

mePH
          "All technology should be assumed guilty until proven innocent." ~David Ross Brower

CCNA, MCSE, MCSA, Security+, A+

Comment

With GNS3 you are using the REAL cisco IOS.
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

I've been using GNS3 for my CCNA exam, it's really useful but too bad no simulation for the catalysts and I need to set the GNS3 so it won't consume my cpu cycling power.

At last I bought my real - but used - cisco (^^)
              It's hard to get used cisco in my country and I don't have cc for paying on internet, so I had to buy from local retailer with some extra cash.

I bought 2 2611 (US$ 190 each) routers and 1 2950 (US$ 280), pretty high price compare to the ebay.

I think that's enough to get recertified in CCNA and pursuing CCNP - with limitations of course

Comment

I would always start with 3 routers and a 2950 switch. You really need 3 for CCNA/CCNP because of route redistribution and just for seeing routes instead of just directly connected. I just bought 2 2611 routers in the past couple weeks, great routers for lab. But I built mine for CCIE, I also have 3 3620, 2 3550, 2 2950, and 20 2500 series routers.

Comment

Working...
                X